Guy Kawasaki, formerly from Apple, continues his lists of Top ten's. The previous two had covered Entrepreneurs and Venture Capitalists, and now this one is about engineers. If you are in marketing, then you should know them by heart, so that you can plan accordingly, however if you are an engineer, then this is the best advice you are going to get. In case you don't know it yet, it is easier to lie than to take responsibility, just look at everybody above you and you would realize how true it is.
So coming back to Guy Kawasky, here are his top ten lies from the techies:
1. “We're about to go into beta testing.”They might sound funny but there is a lot of information between the lines. Like at one place, he says, "My theory is that for version 1.0 of a product, the maximum allowable distance between the engineers and marketers is thirty feet.". Well that my friends, is the absolute truth.
2. “I don't know anything thing about marketing...”
3. “I'll comment the code, so that the next person can understand what I did.”
4. “Our architecture is scalable.”
5. “The code supports all the industry standards.”
6. “We can do a Macintosh version right after we finish the Windows version; in fact, much of the Windows code can be re-used because of how we architected it.”
7. “We have an effective bug reporting database and system.”
8. “We can do this faster, cheaper, and better with an offshore programming team in India.”
9. “Our beta sites loved the software.”
10. “This time we got it right.”
Tagged Engineer, Lie