October 31, 2006

Anbumani Ramadoss

Karan Thapar interviews Anbumani Ramadoss on CNN-IBN's Devil's Advocate. Here are some excerpts.

Mr Ramadoss, there is a widespread belief that as Health Minister you have been immature and defiant or arrogant and obsessive. Are the press being unfair or can you accept that you have made a few mistakes?
Anbumani Ramadoss: .....Because of my virtue of being a doctor, I am professional.....

Karan Thapar: Can I interrupt you there? You say he is one of the worst administrators in this country and yet on two separate occasions, the Delhi High Court had to intervene. In July, they stayed your initial action and in October, Justice Anil Kumar speaking in open court alleged that you had a one-point agenda to oust an eminent doctor by any means. He went on to say of Dr Venugopal that he was a director whose contribution to the institution and its functioning cannot be doubted. The High Court disagrees with you.
Anbumani Ramadoss: .....I am also a doctor and in the same profession as him.....

Karan Thapar: Can I point out to you why people have lost confidence in your handling of Dr Venugopal? You have capped everything by slapping 45 charges against the man, including discriminating against Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, financial irregularities, administrative deficiencies, indiscipline and not tackling the dengue crisis properly. Do you have an ego problem with him or simply dislike the man?
Anbumani Ramadoss: .....I am a professional. I am a doctor.....

Karan Thapar: Do you know the impression in the country? In the end, the Supreme Court on July 18 had to order you to pay and you complied. You ended up embarrassing yourself, not proving a point.
Anbumani Ramadoss: .....Karan, I’m also a doctor.....
More questions follow, You are an arrogant, slick, two-faced bastard, I am a doctor, You are haughty and have brains smaller than an ant, I know that becuase I am a doctor, You should go and screw yourself, I can't becuause they taught me that at medical school that I can't do that, but I am a doctor and a professional.

Thanks Karan. (link)