October 13, 2006

Orhan Pamuk wins Nobel Prize

Orhan Pamuk, the well known Turkish author, has won this years's Nobel prize for literature.

Almost an year ago, Pamuk was in the news for insulting Turkey, though the cases agianst him were dropped earlier this year.

I haven't read anything by him as yet, but I did get 'Snow' a few days earlier. It so happened that, I was moving to Delhi and needed some books for the journey. At Manney's, amongst others, I came down to two books, Snow by Orhan Pamuk, and The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai, who had won the Booker that morning. For some strange reason, I chose Mr Pamuk's book.

So it so happens that, all the author's that I am reading right now, have won the Nobel prize in literature. They include The Flounder by Graham Greene, One Man's Bible by Gao Xingjian and Snow by Orhan Pamuk. But till I get over all of them. Bye.